Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

North Ballachulish from E.

North Ballachulish from E.

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Ballachulish
DISTRICT: North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ARGYLL:Lismore and Appin
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Postcards
location map

This postcard contains a view of North Ballachulish, at the meeting between Loch Leven and Loch Linnhe. Located on the northern shore of Loch Leven, the name Ballachulish originates from the Gaelic meaning, 'village on the narrows.' The rocky, mountainous scenery in evidence is typical of the region.

The settlement initially grew around the nearby slate quarries in the eighteenth century, mined to supply tiles for roofing Victorian Glasgow. In 1903, a branch of the Callander and Oban Railway opened at Ballachulish, making the region more accessible.

Today, like nearby Glencoe, Ballachulish is a popular destination for hillwalkers and climbers.



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_3484


Some other items in this collection...



Alexandra Bridge, Tain

Alexandra Bridge, Tain

Portree, Skye. (From the Meall)

Portree, Skye. (From the Meall)

Loch Hope and Ben Hope

Loch Hope and Ben Hope

Inverasdale

Inverasdale





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village