This photograph shows LMS 14279 shunting at Kyle in June 1927.
The locomotive was one of Highland Railway's Skye Bogie Class which were built primarily to work on the Dingwall and Skye line. Originally numbered HR 86 it was completed in February 1893. It was renumbered twice: to 86A in April 1918 and back to 86 in September 1919. After the grouping it became LMS 14279 and continued in service until being withdrawn in October 1927.
Kyle of Lochalsh is the terminus of the Kyle line from Inverness. The station was opened in November 1897. Prior to this, the terminus had been at Stromeferry and the 10-mile extension was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken up to that time, costing £250,000.
The station, goods yard, sidings and engine sheds, were all blasted out of solid rock, and space was also found for buildings associated with the fish trade. Goods services in and out of Kyle ceased in August 1983.
Find out more about the Highland Railway Society
Browse Highland Railway Society publications including Lost Stations on the Far North Line (2010)