Kingussie Station was opened in 1863 by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway and rebuilt by The Highland Railway in 1891.
The name Kingussie comes from the Gaelic for 'the head of the pinewood'. Once the capital of Badenoch, it was once a small settlement surrounded by a pine forest. In 1799 the Duke of Gordon decided that the parish needed a village and a plan was drawn up.
The planned village of Kingussie grew slowly until it was put on the main road from Inverness to Perth and Fort William by the bridging of the River Spey and the River Laggan at the beginning of the 19th century. Another boost to the village's growth came when outlying tenants were relocated to Kingussie to make way for sheep.
The railway arrived bringing more tourism in 1863 and an 18-hole golf course was opened in 1890.
Kingussie is closely associated with shinty and the Camanachd Association was formed in the village in 1893. The local shinty team, Kingussie Camanachd, entered the Guinness Book of Records as the most successful team in any sport
This photograph is featured in Then and Now
Find out more about the Highland Railway Society
Browse Highland Railway Society publications including Lost Stations on the Far North Line (2010)