This photograph shows a view of Aviemore Railway Station, in Speyside.
The station was built in 1898, replacing an earlier building. It was restored in 1998, still retaining the original company colours of cream and scarlet, to recapture the atmosphere of the Victorian railway. The first railway line to exist in Aviemore was built in 1862. By 1898 the town was an important railway junction with links to Perth, Inverness and Forres. Today, Aviemore remains an important railway junction and the station is also the departure point for the popular Strathspey Steam Railway, between Aviemore and Boat of Garten.
The Strathspey Steam Railway opened in 1978, transporting passengers between Aviemore and Boat of Garten. Its origins lie in the purchasing of the old railway line between Aviemore and Forres, by a group of railway enthusiasts. The group restored the line in 1971. Recent developments have seen the line being extended to Broomhill, half way between Boat of Garten and Grantown-on-Spey.The Broomhill terminus is more popularly known as Glenbogle Station in the television series 'Monarch Of The Glen'.
This photograph is featured in Then and Now
Find out more about the Highland Railway Society
Browse Highland Railway Society publications including Lost Stations on the Far North Line (2010)