Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Wick from Station Road

Wick from Station Road

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Wick
PERIOD: 1900s
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: CAITHNESS:Wick
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Postcards
CREATOR: J Valentine & Co.
location map

Postcard showing a view of Wick Bridge taken from Station Road.

This bridge was completed in 1877 by Murdoch Paterson to replace the Telford Bridge. It is a wide, three-arched bridge on triangular cut waters.

The fountain built in 1906 by W. Paterson Smith can also be clearly seen.

A Royal Burgh from 1589, the town of Wick has even more ancient origins, as shown by its name which comes from the Norse "Vic", the word for bay. It lies on the north east coast of Scotland 19 miles south of John O'Groats.



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_1683


Some other items in this collection...



Ben Loyal from Loch Hacoin (Lochan Hakel), Sutherland

Ben Loyal from Loch Hacoin (Lochan Hakel), Sutherland

Loch Leven and the Narrows Ballachulish

Loch Leven and the Narrows Ballachulish

Tongue Hotel in Sutherland

Tongue Hotel in Sutherland

Inverness Castle

Inverness Castle





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village