Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Church Brae, Strathpeffer

Church Brae, Strathpeffer

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Strathpeffer
PERIOD: 1940s; 1950s
DISTRICT: Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Fodderty
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Postcards
CREATOR: J Valentine & Co.
location map

This postcard shows a view of Strathpeffer from Church Brae. The church pictured is that of the Free Church of Scotland, opened in 1886. It has a distinctive steeple and a commanding position looking over the village. Continuing up Church Brae, one comes to Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club, founded in 1888. The scenic golf course offers panoramic views down the Peffery valley to the Black Isle and westward to the Fannich hills.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first pump room was built in 1819. With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

Today, Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's attractions are the Museum of Childhood, the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion and the Upper Pump Room, where visitors can again sample the healing waters.


This photograph is featured in Then and Now



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_CARD_1118


Some other items in this collection...



The entrance to Bealach Nam Bo (the Pass of the Cattle), Applecross

The entrance to Bealach Nam Bo (the Pass of the Cattle), Applecross

The Post Office, Strathpeffer

The Post Office, Strathpeffer

Dunvegan Castle, Skye

Dunvegan Castle, Skye

Spa Hotel, Strathpeffer

Spa Hotel, Strathpeffer





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village