Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Station Road, Kyle of Lochalsh

Station Road, Kyle of Lochalsh

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Kyle of Lochalsh
PERIOD: 1930s
DISTRICT: South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: ROSS:Lochalsh
CONTRIBUTOR: Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
COLLECTION NAME: Duncan Macpherson (photographs)
CREATOR: Duncan Macpherson
location map

As the name implies, Station Road ran from the station to the jetty where ferries crossed to and from Skye. Duncan Macpherson's pharmacy was on the corner of Station Road and Main Street. Macpherson took a keen interest in activities outside his shop, even photographing a herd of cattle being brought from the station. The oil storage tank dominating the skyline was built in 1930. It held 250,000 gallons and supplied fuel for the T.S.V. Lochness which took over the Mallaig-Kyle-Stornoway route for the MacBrayne company



IDENTIFIER: HCD00239

This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices email:
skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com


Find out more about the photographer - Duncan Macpherson


Find more information on Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre on our partner page



Some other items in this collection...



Chalybeate well, Scalpay Bay

Chalybeate well, Scalpay Bay

Laying of the Foundation Stone, Kyle Hall

Laying of the Foundation Stone, Kyle Hall

"Corry Vanie", Strathpeffer

Station Hotel, Kyle of Lochalsh

Station Hotel, Kyle of Lochalsh





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village