Braeriach Hotel is situated at the south end of Main Street in Newtonmore. Built in the late 19th century, the building was formerly the 'Temperance Hotel'.
Until the beginning of the 19th century, there was no record of a village at Newtonmore, on the upper reaches of the Spey, at the southern end of Badenoch and Strathspey. There is, however, evidence of prehistoric settlements and early townships in nearby Glen Banchor. It was not until after the building of a bridge over the Spey in 1756 and the clearances at the end of the eighteenth century that a hamlet was built on the new north road. According to the Third Statistical Account, the village was founded by James Macpherson, son of the James Macpherson who "translated" the poems of Ossian.
The village was originally called Stonemuir but by 1828 it was known as Newtownmore - the new town on the moor. At the beginning of the 19th century the biggest cattle markets between Inverness and Falkirk were held here. With Queen Victoria's interest in the Highlands - she had visited and even considered buying nearby Ardverikie - Newtonmore grew as a holiday resort, the large estates providing hunting, shooting and fishing for the gentry
This photograph is featured in Then and Now