Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

East Cairn, Clava

East Cairn, Clava

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Clava
PERIOD: 2000BC
DISTRICT: Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Croy and Dalcross
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (illustrations)
location map


The site at Balnuaran of Clava comprises of two chambered cairns and a ring cairn, each surrounded by a stone circle. The site has given its name to two varieties of cairns found in and around the Inverness area (ring cairn and passage grave). It was originally thought that the site dates from the late-Neolithic but recent excavation work suggests they may be later, from the Bronze Age.

The passageways of the two burial cairns or passage-graves are aligned to the midwinter solstice, the day with the shortest period of daylight in the year. The kerb stones and the standing stones are also graded in size, becoming larger towards the southwest and the midwinter sunset. Excavations in 1828, 1857 and the 1950s revealed pieces of pottery and flint and cremated human bones. The site was obviously of great significance and was possibly reserved for people of high status.

This illustration is taken from 'The Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland' vol.3



IDENTIFIER: QZP40_2471_P050

If you would like to view the original item please see the library's website for opening hours. Inverness Library




Some other items in this collection...



Stone of Ardvoirlich

Stone of Ardvoirlich

Headstones at Cladh a' Bhile

Headstones at Cladh a' Bhile

Bronze Brooch

Bronze Brooch

Flattened reindeer horns found at Kintradwell, near Brora, Sutherland

Flattened reindeer horns found at Kintradwell, near Brora, Sutherland





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village