Am Baile: highland history and cultureHighland Council logo

Fort Augustus

Fort Augustus

Larger picture

Print this page

Email a friend

Make a Comment

Add to Scrapbook

Share

LOCATION: Fort Augustus
PERIOD: 1770s
DISTRICT: Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH: INVERNESS:Boleskine and Abertarff
CONTRIBUTOR: Highland Libraries
COLLECTION NAME: Fraser Mackintosh (illustrations)
DATE OF ORIGINAL: 1852
location map


Fort Augustus is situated at the south west end of Loch Ness in the Great Glen. It was originally named after St Cummein who built a church there and the Gaelic name is still Cill Chuimein. The name 'Fort Augustus' dates from the building of a fort after the defeat of the 1715 Jacobite Rising. The fort was named after one of George II's sons who was later to become the Duke of Cumberland of the '45 Jacobite Rising.

Little of the original fort remains but some parts were incorporated into the Benedictine Abbey which was built in 1876.

The town is at the point where Loch Ness meets the Caledonian Canal. The canal bisects Fort Augustus with an impressive flight of locks.

This illustration was taken from 'Boswell's Journal of the Tour to the Hebrides with Samuel Johnson' (1852 edition)




IDENTIFIER: QZP40_914_117_P008

If you would like to view the original item please see the library's website for opening hours. Inverness Library


Find out more about Charles Fraser MacKintosh




Some other items in this collection...



The harpooning of a Basking Shark, Loch Ranza Bay

The harpooning of a Basking Shark, Loch Ranza Bay

Erect columns near Shag's Cave, Staffa

Erect columns near Shag's Cave, Staffa

Caledonian Canal

Caledonian Canal

First Earl of Breadalbane

First Earl of Breadalbane





Copyright © 2003 - 2014 Am Baile/The Gaelic Village